Sunday 1 May 2011

Playstation 3 Review

I am officially in awe of the Sony Playstation 3. I am honestly intrigued why anyone might opt for something else (no this is not an invitation for all the 360 trolls to crawl out from under the rocks and start spitting stink-venom, the 360 has value in it's own right too.) But the PS3 really does, DO IT ALL.

-Blu-ray - You get one of THE BEST Blu-ray players around. I also own the top rated Samsung 3D Blu-ray player that gets applause for its lightning fast load times. My PS3 was nearly the exact same speed in my side-by-side comparison. It is also a future proof Blu-ray player with it's 3D capabilities.

-320gb Storage - THE most storage available from any OEM console. I have my entire MP3 library on here and it streams perfectly to my surround sound system. I've set up playlists for all occasions and it really rocks the house. I also have 5 HD movies that I love to watch and rewatch saved on here. Given that I don't really REwatch stuff mutch, I probably will only save my favorites but I am sure to have enough space.

-Video Apps - Hulu Plus and Netflix are both so extremely robust I have actually cancelled my cable. They both stream in HD through the PS3 and look beautiful.

-Best Exclusive Game Titles - Between the Killzone, Uncharted, MLB The Show, Gran Turismo, Little Big Planet, Mod Nation Racers and Infamous series you can't go wrong. It has all the same cross-platform titles as the rest but these exclusives look absolutely stunning. There is no question, that a game designed for the PS3 looks like the most amazing thing in console gaming to date.

Motion Controller - I was skeptical about this. I have a Wii. It's fun enough, but it's a Wii and they games are well, dull. This is amazing. I cannot get enough of Ping Pong and the Gladiators game in Sports Champions. The 1 to 1 tracking works exactly as promised. The motion controller even operates the XMB (cross media bar, the main menu.)

Pandora - Yes, the PS3 web browser will go to [...] and stream your stations through your surround sound. I'm listening to "my" station right now.

Hands down, this is the best home entertainment value around. It has games for everyone in the house including little ones, teenagers and games for more mature folks. It also has a bunch of family friendly games. I know I sound like a paid spokesperson but I couldn't be happier with this console. From most of the reading, the poor reviews are really a result of slow shipping (likely their own fault for not choosing carefully) so be careful when reading reviews. As for Amazon, I buy A LOT from Amazon. Nearly every piece of electronics I own comes from them and given the A+++ customer service experience I've had I will never shop anywhere else. Yes, there is a BB 15 minutes down the street but they can't touch the level of service I've received from Amazon.

No comments: